13 May 2008

'We've got such lovely memories of Jimmy and they will have such sorrow about their son'

Last Friday Jimmy Mizen, 6’4” (193 cms), who lived in London, turned 16. The following day he was dead, the victim of a frenzied attack by a total stranger in a bakery store where he had gone to buy a lottery ticket. The Daily Mail describes Jimmy as ‘a devout Catholic’. He had six brothers, Danny, 26, Billy, 28, Tommy 26, Bobby 24, Harry, 18, and George, eight. His two sisters are Joanne, 35, and Samantha, 21. The murdered boy’s parents are Barry and Margaret.

Thanks to Fr Tim Finigan.

The BBC also carries reports.

Today’s Daily Telegraph has a column by Andrew O’Hagan, Bakery murder: Bravo to Jimmy Mizen's mother for rejecting revenge. Though no one knows yet who the young man was who killed Jimmy, Margaret Mizen said, ‘I just want to say to the parents of this other boy, I want to say I feel so, so sorry for them. I don't feel anger, I feel sorry for the parents. We've got such lovely memories of Jimmy and they will have such sorrow about their son. I feel for them, I really do.’

‘WE’VE GOT SUCH LOVELY MEMORIES OF JIMMY AND THEY WILL HAVE SUCH SORROW ABOUT THEIR SON’.

Fr Edward Perera, the parish priest of the Mizen family, quoted Mrs Mizen as saying on the day of the murder, 'I will be there in the morning for Mass because I need my faith. The parish is my family and I need the support of the family'.

We are all part of the Mizen Family's parish and they need the support of our prayers, as does the young killer and his family.

No comments: