15 August 2009

Marian website in Holy Land

The Visitation (detail) Tintoretto, c. 1549


Just today I learned of a Marian website in the Holy Land, Mary of Nazareth, Her mystery, her museum, her site. H/T to Catholic Culture.

It has a link to a beautifully sung hymn in Romanian, Prea Sfanta Maica si Fecioara, which Google translates as 'Most Holy Mother and Virgin'. There is a video to watch as you listen to a young woman with a truly heavenly voice singing a capella. Romanian is a romance language, ie, one that developed from a dialect of Latin, as did Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French and Catalan, among others.

Here is the site's daily email for today, the Solemnity of the Assumption:

August 15 - Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin into Heaven

Prayer for the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Mary, Queen assumed into Heaven, I rejoice that after years of heroic martyrdom on earth, you have at last been taken to the throne prepared for you in Heaven by the Holy Trinity.

Lift my heart with you in the glory of your Assumption above the dreadful touch of sin and impurity. Teach me how small earth becomes when viewed from Heaven. Make me realize that death is the triumphant gate through which I shall pass to your Son and that someday my body shall rejoin my soul in the unending bliss of Heaven.

From this earth, over which I tread as a pilgrim, I look to you for help. When my hour of death has come, lead me safely to the presence of Jesus to enjoy the vision of my God for all eternity together with you.

Amen.

Saint Francis de Sales.


There is also a link to El Magnificat, sung in Spanish. It appears in today's gospel.

RSV Catholic Edition version:

And Mary said,

"My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden.

For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed;
for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
And his mercy is on those who fear him from generation to generation.

He has shown strength with his arm,
he has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts,
he has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and exalted those of low degree;
he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent empty away.

He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his posterity for ever."

Spanish version:

Cántico de María. ALEGRÍA DEL ALMA EN EL SEÑOR Lc 1, 46-55

Proclama mi alma la grandeza del Señor,
se alegra mi espíritu en Dios, mi salvador;
porque ha mirado la humillación de su esclava.

Desde ahora me felicitarán todas las generaciones,
porque el Poderoso ha hecho obras grandes por mí:
su nombre es santo,
y su misericordia llega a sus fieles
de generación en generación.

El hace proezas con su brazo:
dispersa a los soberbios de corazón,
derriba del trono a los poderosos
y enaltece a los humildes,
a los hambrientos los colma de bienes
y a los ricos los despide vacíos.

Auxilia a Israel, su siervo,
acordándose de su misericordia
-como lo había prometido a nuestros padres-
en favor de Abraham y su descendencia por siempre.


No comments: