28 October 2009

Press statement of Columban Superior to CBCP

Press Statement to CBCP (Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines)

Here is a statement for the CBCP issued yesterday by Fr Patrick O'Donoghue, Regional Director of the Columbans in the Philippines. It was emailed to his fellow Columbans at 10:13pm Philippine time, 2:13GMT. It was sent to the CBCP some hours earlier.

"I am not in negotiations with anyone regarding Fr. Sinnott's release. Nor, as far as I am aware, is anybody else in the Church in negotiations. Nor do I know of anyone else being in negotiation with those who are holding Fr. Mick. I am aware of the reports in the media that the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front) have offered to help to secure the release of Fr. Mick. If there are 'negotiations' on-going between the government and the MILF with regard to this offer, I am not privy to them. If this kind of negotiation is going on and if it would lead to Fr. Mick's speedy release then it would be welcomed. My continued hope is that whoever is holding Fr. Mick will consider his age, his health and the esteem in which he is held by so many people, and not detain him any longer. To do this would show that their compassion has won out over whatever motives they had for abducting him. I dare to hope that the abductors are capable of this compassion."

No comments: